Hey There, Today I am here with another How to Tech Tips Where I am going to show you how to stop Windows 10 from Automatic Downloading. In this step by step tech tutorial method, I will show you how you can disable Windows 10 Auto updates.
Windows 10 always install and download the important updates on your system to keep your system up to date with the latest security patches, stability and performance improvements of your device to make it sure your device is up to date with the latest features.
This Automatic Update feature is enabled by default in Windows 10 to get latest updates on time and speed up your PC performance by getting the latest security, and other updates. Usually, to apply these updates, users are required to restart their devices, and sometimes it takes a lot of time to restart that hurt the users.
With this auto-updates feature, you may get some unnecessary windows update which perhaps not required or take your unnecessary time to get installed on your device. So, no need to worry about that because, in this tech tutorial post, we will deeply explain and will show you a few easiest methods to get rid of this automatic update feature.
How to Disable Windows 10 Automatic updates using Settings
- First of all Click on Windows Start Button.
- Type Settings or simply click on Settings
- Click on Update & Security and then click on Windows Updates.
- Click on the Advanced options.
- You will find a “Pause updates” option and under the Pause updates, use the Pause until drop-down menu option, and select for how long time you want to disable auto-updates.
- Now, when you complete the process, Windows will not install any update until that date, and when your PC/Laptop reach the pause limit date, your device will need to get new updates. You can also pause again this option for more time.
Important! If you want to resume the auto-update settings any time, simply go to the Windows Updates setting page and Resume the windows update.
You can also disable security updates too which Microsoft calls “Quality Updates” but as an IT Professional I don’t recommend to disable this feature because, security updates are very important to keep your device safe from any type of malware, virus etc attacks and to keep your system up to date with the latest security features.
How to Disable Windows 10 Automatic updates using Group Policy
Another easiest way to disable Windows 10 Automatic Updates is using Windows Group Policy feature. You can disable Auto updates by using Group Policy, here is how to
- Click on Windows Start Button and Type gpedit.msc or simply Press Windows + R button, type gpedit.msc in the Run dialogue box area and press enter button.
- Group Policy windows will open, now navigate to the following path Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update
- Now double click on the Configure Automatic Updates on the right side
- Click on Disable button, Click Apply and then Ok
Important! If you want to revert the process to the previous one (want to enabled/resume the auto-updates from the Group Policy area, simply go to the same path and double click on the Configure Automatic Update and select Not Configure then click on Apply and Ok button.
How to Disable Windows 10 Automatic updates using services.msc
The third and easiest way to disable Windows 10 Auto Updates is using Windows Services feature. Here is how to:
- Open the run command area by pressing Windows+R button or click on the Windows Start button and type Run.
- Type services.msc and press enter button and click on Ok.
- A Services window will open.
- Double Click on Windows Update and select Disabled from the startup type: drop-down list.
- Click on Apply and Then Ok